3V had a very exciting and productive Term 1 and teachers and students thoroughly enjoyed our celebration days in week 11. We are looking forward to another busy term full of innovation and engagement and not to mention extremely thrilled about opening the doors and moving between Stage 2 classrooms to enhance learning in Mathematics and STEM.
Below is an outline of the curriculum content Stage two will be covering this term and important days to remember for your child's class.
Rich Text Concept: Point of View – Stage 2 students learn that point of view influences interpretation of texts. Students understand that:
- different points of view affect a story
- different modes and media convey point of view in different ways
- meanings of stories may change when viewed through the eyes of different characters in the story or different responders to the story
Persuasive Writing: Students in Stage 2 view, analyse, plan and compose texts for the purpose of persuasion. They will examine language features of a range of persuasive text types, and use these features in their own writing, combining the features of the ‘Seven Steps to Writing Success'.
Students will complete a novel study on the ‘One and Only Ivan' by Katherine Applegate in all Stage 2 classes.
Spelling & Grammar – Jolly Phonics and curriculum support documents.
Number & Algebra
- Applies place value to order, read and represent numbers of up to five digits.
- Uses mental and informal written strategies for multiplication and division.
- Uses mental and written strategies for addition and subtraction involving two-, three-, four- and five-digit numbers.
- Represents models and compares commonly used fractions and decimals.
- Generalises properties of odd and even numbers, generates number patterns, and completes simple number sentences by calculating missing values.
Measurement & Geometry
- Uses simple maps and grids to represent position and follow routes, including using compass directions.
- Measures, records, compares and estimates volumes and capacities using litres, millilitres and cubic centimetres.
- Identifies, describes, compares and classifies angles.
Statistics and Probability
- Describes and compares chance events in social and experimental contexts.
Students in Stage 2 will develop an understanding and fluency in mathematics through inquiry, exploring and connecting mathematical concepts, choosing and applying problem-solving skills and mathematical techniques and communication and reasoning.
Unit Topic: Material World (Chemical Sciences)
This unit provides opportunities for students to develop an understanding of the properties of materials and how they relate to use. Through investigations, students explore how to test the properties of materials fairly and how to use this knowledge to choose materials wisely.
Unit Topic: First Contacts
Students will examine the arrival of the First Fleet from the perspectives of the Aboriginal people, the convicts, the British leaders who came on the ships and the free settlers. They will explore the hardships that the people experienced in the early days of colonisation and investigate individuals who played important roles during this time in history.
PD/H – Drug Education
PE – Fitness (Tuesday & Thursday), Sport (Friday) – skills/games
Performing Arts (Drama) – classroom based Performing, Composing and Appreciating
Creative Arts – classroom based making and appreciating
Important days and dates to remember:
Friday 11th May – MAGS Day
Friday 11th May – 3/4K Assembly Item
May 15th, 16th & 17th – Years 3 & 5 NAPLAN
Tuesday 15th May – Parent Workshop (Reading)
Friday 18th May – Walk Safely to School Day
Friday 18th May – $50 Deposit for Stage 2 Sydney excursion due
Friday 25th May – 3V Assembly Item
Tuesday 29th May – Parent Workshop (Maths)
Tuesday 12th June – Parent Workshop (GATS)
Wednesday 27th June – Futures Learning Enhancement Day
Friday 29th June – Athletics Carnival
Wednesday 4th July - NAIDOC Day
- Google Classroom and Google Apps