Supporting families

Family Law and the School
Parents are asked to provide copies of any court orders that may exist so that our staff can be aware of the rights and responsibilities each parent may have. A copy of any order will be stored in the record card.
Upon request non-residential parents are provided with copies of significant documentation concerning students which are ordinarily provided to the residential parent by our school.
This includes school reports, school newsletters, notices regarding major excursions, school photographs or other information that is considered by the principal as significant.
Documents of a minor administrative nature such as the canteen is closed would not be sent to the non-residential parent.
In the absence of orders both parents are entitled to receive relevant school documentation on request.

A range of services is available to support families, including translation and interpreter services, adult education, adult English programs and telephone counselling services.

Parent information

Parent information that is relevant for your child's education is available in English and other community languages.


The school counsellor can assist when families undergo a trauma or big change. Contact us to make an appointment. For information in community languages see school counselling service.

Free telephone counselling services (outside of the education system) are available to support families who may be going through a difficult time.

  • Lifeline - a 24 hour telephone counselling service. 13 11 14.

  • Mensline Australia - 24 hour telephone counselling service for men. 1300 789 978.

  • Parent line - a toll free 24 hour advice and information service. 1300 1300 52.

Interpreter service

Parents and carers who don't speak English well and deaf parents and carers who use sign language, can get assistance from the telephone interpreter service. An interpreter can be requested for school matters involving your child such as enrolment, subject choice, educational progress, attendance, welfare or behaviour. Interpreters can also be requested for parent-teacher interviews, school meetings, school council meetings, and parents and citizens meetings.

The telephone number to call is 131 450. Ask for an interpreter for the required language and the interpreter will call our school and stay on the line to assist you with your conversation. You will not be charged for this service. Parents and carers who need an interpreter to attend a school meeting should let us know.

Adult education